Tuesday, August 10, 2010

[You Were Perfect, Bamaloo. Like a Ninja.]

I figured when I got here, I would probably see a few stars that I absolutely adore. It's Hollywood. I'm in film. That's just how it goes.

Of course, this one was one I never really expected.

For anyone unfamiliar with the pure awesome that is Ninja Warrior, it's a contest that's going on nearly thirty runs in Japan. The single hardest obstacle course ever constructed. So much so that Olympic athletes try and fail. Routinely. So much so that only two men in the 26 runs of the show have ever finished all four stages and achieved total victory.

One of those men is Makoto Nagano. He's also adorable and my total hero. And I shook his hand.



Much more than the obvious amusement of people completely wiping out on the course, I love the people who run it. The ones who dedicate their lives to training and perfecting their bodies so they can try and achieve total victory. The course takes an insane amount of speed and arm strength. It's like their own personal journey.

But the thing that really sets Ninja Warrior apart? They're all rooting for each other. They're not on the same team, but they act like they are. There's genuine happiness at each other's success and real heartbreak when they fail. It's so rare that you see that. Being able to be so truly empathetic? I think that's a pretty damn special thing.

Also, someday, I need to be a ninja. But that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment