Wednesday, August 25, 2010

[What's Next?]

So... I've been a bit of a bad blogger. To be fair, it was all for your own good. I told myself that if I didn't have anything amusing to say, you wouldn't read it, so I shouldn't say anything at all. You guys are just a very tough audience, you know. So, this is really your fault.

Jerk.

Anyways. It has officially begun: my life as a member of the fabulous film industry. I'm well on my way to being an upstanding member of society. Or at least, I'm now one who helps the economy by paying rent, so I suppose that's something.

The last week has been a blur of meeting people, getting back in the swing of being a student, and simultaneously feeling excited, nervous, overwhelmed, and scared. Somewhere between the realms of I'm Gonna Be A Kick Ass Studious Mother Fucker and Holy Shit, Why Am I in the Same Class As That Dude Who Has An Emmy. It's... odd, certainly. But I've never been one to turn away something because it's odd.

I will say, however, that for the first time ever, I'm living to work. With college and definitely with my job, I always felt like I was working to live. I was only there as long as I had to be there, and whenever I was kept late, that nagging little voice in the back of my mind did a routine of "It's time to go home. It was time to go home five minutes ago. Why aren't they acknowledging this fact? Maybe if I jump out that window, I'll get to go home sooner. What are my chances of splatting on the ground if I do jump out that window? I wonder if it even opens. I should've planned ahead and stuck something squishy outside the window, just in case it came to this." And then my mind wandered off to giant Twinkies, and I usually was able to keep myself distracted until I was finally set free.

But that isn't happening here. I get out of a 7:30 class and think "what's next?" Who can I talk to? What can I work on? For the moment, it's wonderful. I really do hope it's something that sticks, even in the worst days.

Five days into Boot Camp, I'm feeling pretty good. I adore my team, and we're working on a project that's a shoot off of an idea I've been playing with for years. We don't quite have the pitch down yet, but on Friday, we get to pitch it to the cinematographers, editors, and production designers.

Apparently, as a responsible producer, I get to be the one who gets up in front of everyone and coherently and convincingly explains to all of them why our project is worth their time.

That... should be interesting. But that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment